Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I am now at the home of my second family – am living with one of the teachers from the school and her 17 year old son (this is his computer I’m using). It is an apartment (one of a huge number in this area) and much different than where I was previously staying (a large house on the outskirts of the city). I was sad to leave my other home because of how much I enjoyed the company of that family, but I think it’s good to live in different parts of the city and in different ways – more experiences and the chance to meet new people. I met with some students last night for the first time, and now actually have a schedule for the rest of the time I’m here (3 times a week for an hour and a half or so). Still not sure about the adults in the evening… I’m meeting with a small group tonight, but it’s only an every Tuesday thing, so not sure about the rest of the week.

I watched 50 First Dates last night in Russian with English subtitles. An unusual experience, but I really liked the movie. At my old home, they had a home theatre system so watched I think 5 movies on a huge “screen” – basically an empty wall. Star Wars Episode 3 only in Russian (no subtitles) was very amusing (“до свидания Tarfur, до свидания Chewbacca”). Also watched Sideways there – strange to be watching a movie about California while in Russia… It made me a little homesick.

Have realized that when you take a plane to get somewhere your mind can’t really grasp the distance traveled, so it’s strange to think that I’m actually in Russia and so many thousands of miles away from home. Basically on the opposite/dark side of the globe.

Am also finding that the strain of trying to listen to a language that I don’t know very well is mentally exhausting. It’s also much more difficult to slow down my own speech in English than I thought it would be. I find that I have trouble thinking of the right words. Speech is so natural that at home you rarely have to think about how fast you’re talking or making sure that you’re using simple words. I can only imagine the relief I will feel when I’m back home and can speak normally again. But even with this difficulty, I am definitely enjoying my time here.

I hear the Giants are doing horribly which is kind of a bummer, but I’m also glad that I’m not missing much. And I can’t believe that Greg Maddux is now a Dodger… disgusting. I think they – the Giants – must just know that one of their biggest fans is missing. I’m sure they’ll have a fantastic September once I’m home and make up all the ground they’ve lost.

I think maybe in my next blog I will try to list some of the differences/generalities that I’ve noticed while here. I’ll have to think about it though first… Hope everyone is well!

2 Comments:

At 28 August, 2006 19:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, apparently all that the Giants needed, for the time being, was for me to completely loose hope and start rooting for the Padres to pass the Dodgers - since I wrote you last and ended with "Go Padres" the Giants have won 9 of their last 12 games, including sweeping the Padres! Go figure. Anyhow, I too hope they do even better when you return.
Glad to hear things are going well. I can't wait to see pictures! Speaking of which, I missed you and your camera at the last game - Royce Clayton is on the Reds (got his autograph yet again) and finally shaved that mop off his head. Sorry I keep going back to baseball, but just as you miss it, I miss talking to you about it. :)

 
At 28 August, 2006 19:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, apparently all that the Giants needed, for the time being, was for me to completely loose hope and start rooting for the Padres to pass the Dodgers - since I wrote you last and ended with "Go Padres" the Giants have won 9 of their last 12 games, including sweeping the Padres! Go figure. Anyhow, I too hope they do even better when you return.
Glad to hear things are going well. I can't wait to see pictures! Speaking of which, I missed you and your camera at the last game - Royce Clayton is on the Reds (got his autograph yet again) and finally shaved that mop off his head. Sorry I keep going back to baseball, but just as you miss it, I miss talking to you about it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home